Colonial and Continental Church Society fonds. — 1827-1916.
26 cm of textual records.

Administrative History:

The Colonial and Continental Church Society began in 1823 as the “Society for Educating the Poor in Newfoundland”.  When activities were extended to the mainland, the name was changed in 1829 to the “Newfoundland and British North America Society for the Education of the Poor” and in 1846 to the “Church of England Society for the Education of the Poor in Newfoundland and the Colonies”.  In 1851, it united with the Colonial Church Society (originally established in 1835 as the Western Australian Missionary Society and the Colonial Church Society in 1838) to form the “Colonial Church and School Society”.  In 1861, the name was changed to “Colonial and Continental Church Society” (Col. and Con. or C.C.C.S.), the name by which it was known throughout the longest part of its history.  In 1958, it became the “Commonwealth and Continental Church Society”.  Between 1980 and 1981, the name changed to the “Intercontinental Church Society”.  Now known as “Intercon”, the organization ministers in English to people abroad through permanent chaplaincies in South America, Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.

The C.C.C.S. initially aimed to educate the poor and then it’s goal was in the training and support of teachers followed closely by mission work.  They endeavoured to work with existing church bodies so they provided grants to dioceses for  parishes, started the Sabrebois Mission to the French Canadians in Quebec, ministered to fugitive slaves that came to Canada in the 1850s, supported theological colleges such as Huron College, and started Emmanuel College in the Diocese of Saskatchewan in an effort to train a sufficient number of men to meet the needs of the Northwest.  Eventually their goal to meet the needs of English speaking British immigrants turned to reaching the native peoples of Canada.  They supported the work of the Rev. S.M. Stewart at the Ungava Mission in the neighbourhood of Fort Chimo in Ungava Bay.

Scope and Content:

Fonds consists of reports, incorporation documents, and printed materials.

Fonds arranged in the following series:

  • Series 1. Annual reports, 1862-1916
  • Series 2. Diocese of Montreal, 1853-1913
  • Series 3. Newfoundland, 1827
  • Series 4. Halifax Association, 1850-1921
  • Series 5. Printed materials, 1855-1984

Notes:

Title based on contents of fonds.

Finding Aids: Finding aid available.
Associated material: Colonial and Continental Church Society Mf 64-2

General Notes:

Photocopy of article included: “Colonial and Continental Church Society Centenary : 1823-1923,” by the Rev. J. Douglas Paterson, Local Secretary for Canada.

Repository:

Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.

Corporate Names:

  • Newfoundland School Society.
  • Newfoundland and British North American Society for the Education of the Poor.
  • Church of England Society for the Education of the Poor in Newfoundland and the Colonies.
  • Colonial Church and School Society.
  • Commonwealth and Continental Church Society.
  • Intercontinental Church Society.
  • Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Montreal.
  • Sabrevois Mission.
  • French Mission Record.
Accession number:  M80-12