The second session will help you decide how to assemble a small team to lead a church-wide (or diocesan-wide) effort in engaging volunteers, and will give you guidance in determining the readiness of the parish for any changes that may be needed. Then, rolling up the sleeves time: designing jobs or positions for volunteers that are clear, attractive and accountable. And do-able! This step is vital if the church is to prevent future problems with “difficult volunteers” (do you have any?), to fulfil screening requirements, and to also draw people into the life of the church in a healthy and nurturing way.
Handouts for session 2
- A volunteer leadership cycle for churches
- A readiness checklist: Is your parish ready for greater volunteer involvement?
- Sample ministry position description: Coordinator of volunteer ministries (adapted from Marlene Wilson, Volunteer Management Associates)
- Job description template
- Sample job description: Chair of the leadership development committee
- Assessment of our Congregation’s Ways of Engaging Volunteers worksheet and The Window of Work instruction sheet
- Session 2 presentation (PDF)