1.14 m of textual records.
The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada was formed by Canon XIX of the Provincial Synod of the Ecclesiastical Province of Canada, September, 1883. The books were closed in 1902 when it amalgamated with the Canada Church Missionary Association, into the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) created by the General Synod in 1902.
Dr. C.H. Mockridge, General Secretary, and J.J. Mason, General Treasurer, were the chief administrative officers of the DFMS until 1893 when the full-time position of Secretary-Treasurer was created, in which Dr. Mockridge served until December 1896. From 1897 to 1901, Canon A. Spencer served as Honorary Secretary. In 1901, Canon Grout took over as acting Secretary to oversee the transfer of the administration of the missions to the MSCC. Mr. C.A. Eliot served the DFMS as Honorary Treasurer, 1897-1902, and continued as Treaurer with the MSCC.
The Woman’s Auxliary, formed in Ottawa in April 1885, co-operated with the DFMS. The DFMS supplied funds to a number of missions in several Canadian dioceses and to a number of foreign missionaries, particularly in Japan. At first administration was handled through the British societies, but gradually the Canadian Missions became self-supporting by 1899. Money was raised in a number of annual campaigns: the Epiphany and Ascensiontide Appeals and the Children’s Lenten Letter.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of legal records, minutes, correspondence, financial records, and printed materials.
The fonds is arranged in the following series:
- Series 1: Canons, constitution, and minutes, 1880-1902
- Series 2: Records of the Secretary, 1889-1902
- Series 3: Records of the Treasurer, 1883-1904
- Series 4: Printed Materials, 1883-1903
Records and publications of the DFMS available on microfilm.
Records and publications of the DFMS available on CHIM microfiche and online.
Finding aid available.
- Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds
- Woman’s Auxiliary fonds
- Canadian Church Missionary Society fonds
See article in CCHS Journal, Vol.XIX, Nos.3-4, July-Dec. 1977. T.R. Millman,”The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada, 1883-1902,” p.166-175.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.