Canadian Mothers’ Union fonds. — 1900-2016.
2.78 m of textual records, graphic material, and sound recordings.
The Mothers’ Union was founded by Mary Elizabeth Sumner in England in 1876. As a clergy wife, she recognized the need for mothers to support one another in raising their children for God. The Mothers’ Union was organized as a Diocesan Society in Winchester, England, in 1887 and incorporated by Royal Charter in 1926. The Mothers’ Union has since become a world wide society of Christian women. Mary Sumner was the first Central President (International) of Mothers’ Union.
The first Mothers’ Union branch in Canada was established in London, Ontario in 1888, but did not survive it’s founding members. The permanent foundation of the Canadian Mothers’ Union was established in 1903 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The first Dominion Council (became The Canadian Council) was formed in Winnipeg in 1928 with Mrs. S. P. Matheson as the first president. Officially named the Canadian Society of the Mothers’ Union, it is commonly known as the Canadian Mothers’ Union. It has served the Anglican Church in Canada by offering a special ministry to mothers and their families, within the larger fellowship of Anglican Church Women (formerly Women’s Auxiliary) and now provides a link with the world wide sisterhood of prayer and fellowship.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of minutes, newsletters, financial records, conference materials, printed materials, scrapbooks, graphic materials, and sound recordings from Canada, England, and other countries where Mother’s Union activities take place.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
Canadian Society of the Mothers’ Union
M91-06, M2002-15, M2009-13, M2018-07, AV 9101, P8466, P9104