Episcopal New Church, Peterboro’, in the district of Newcastle, Upper Canada. — 1838.
2 p. of texutal records.
Bishop John Strachan consecrated St. John’s church in 1843. Finances were a problem throughout the building of the church, as pew revenues fell short of expectations and members of the congregation did not offer regular support. As a result, several efforts were made to seek financial assistance from England, Ireland and various Christian societies.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of a photocopy of a circular letter issued by Charles T. Wade, rector and missionary, to raise funds in England to pay off the debt incurred in the building of the first stone church in the mission of Peterborough.
See also entries under this heading in classified catalogue.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
St. John’s Anglican Church (Peterborough, Ont.)
Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Toronto