St. Paul’s Anglican Church (Manitowaning, Ont.) fonds : 1851, 1899. — Photocopied 1977.
6 p. of textual records.

Administrative History:

In 1836, Rev. Adam Elliott came with Captain T.G. Anderson and a schoolmaster to Manitoulin Island, Ont. to form the basis of “the Establishment”, a government agency to educate and train the Indians of the newly established Indian Reserve on the Island.  This settlement was to become a part of St. Paul’s Mission in Manitowaning, Manitoulin Island. St. Paul’s Church was built in 1845-1849 under the direction of Rev. Frederick A. O’Meara and is the oldest existing church in the Districts of Manitoulin and Algoma.  The “Establishment” was an unsuccessful venture and by 1856, the mission was almost deserted.  Rev. O’Meara remained at St. Paul’s until 1859 when Peter Jacobs, an Indian Assistant was left in charge.  In 1862, the Indian Establishment at Manitowaning was discontinued and the Indian Treaty of Aug. 4, 1862, left Manitoulin Island open to white settlers.  Jacobs died in 1864 and the authorities of the Anglican Church transferred the mission to Sheguiandah Reserve.  The new settlers took St. Paul’s Church.

Custodial History:

Copies purchased from the Public Archives of Canada in 1977.

Scope and Content:

Fonds consists of copies of two letters dealing with the land occupied by St. Paul’s Church, Manitowaning, Manitoulin Island, Ontario.  Records of G.M. Matheson who served as Registrar for the Department of Indian Affairs from 1898-1935.

Notes:

Title based on contents of fonds.

Handwritten and typewritten.

Reproductions:

Originals located in the National Archives of Canada, RG10.

General Notes:

See also entries under this heading in the classified catalogue.

Repository:

Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.

Personal Names:

Matheson, G.M.

Corporate Names:

Canada. Department of Indian Affairs.

Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Algoma.

Geographic Names:

Manitoulin Island (Ont.)

Accession number:  M79-16