Alfred Campbell Garrioch (1848-1934) studied theology at St. John’s College, Winnipeg. He established the first Protestant mission in the Peace River country in 1877 and helped found an Indian children training school at Fort Vermilion. Published several translations into the Beaver Indian language dictionary while in England and was the author of several novels.
Fonds consists of a letter written by Garrioch to John Murray, Hudson’s Bay carpenter, describing Garrioch’s missionary work at St. Saviour’s Mission, Fort Dunvegan and a journey made to Fort Vermillon to attend the first synod of the diocese of Athabaska in 1888. One typescript copy included.
- Title based on contents of fonds.
Fort Vermillon (NWT)
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.