334 photographs : b&w, 120 slides : glass and 5 printing blocks : wood.
36 audio cassettes and transcripts.
The Church of England Deaconess and Missionary Training House was established in 1890 as a residential school to prepare women workers for Deaconess and missionary service. In 1947 the name was changed to the Anglican Women’s Training College (AWTC). Anglican women from all over Canada came to Toronto to train for work in Christian Education in parishes, medical and teaching services overseas, Indian and Eskimo Residential Schools and reserves, Bishop’s Messengers in western Canada, Sunday School by Post and Radio, youth and social work. The Woman’s Auxiliary recruits were sent to the AWTC for missionary training for a year or less before being sent out. This was different from the three year diploma program offered to AWTC students.
In 1969, the AWTC merged with the United Church’s Covenent College to become the Centre for Christian Studies using the former AWTC building on Charles Street, Toronto. In 1997, the building in Toronto was sold and a decision was made to discontinue the traditional residential program in favour of the community based program and to relocate the administrative offices to Winnipeg. In July, 1998, CCS officially moved.
Fonds consists of correspondence, fundraising and insurance records, architectural plans and blueprints, minutes of meetings, Alumnae and student records, daybooks, financial and legal records, annual reports, scrapbooks, pamphlets and other printed materials, photographs, artifacts, and oral history interviews.
Fonds is arranged in 7 series:
- Series 1: Committee on Deaconesses, 1890-1897.
- Series 2: Administration Records of the Deaconess House and AWTC, 1893-1990.
- Series 3: Committees, 1899-1973.
- Series 4: Associations, 1896-1990.
- Series 5: Printed and Miscellaneous Material, 1892-1998. Series 6: Anglican Women’s Training College: A Background Document. – 1893-1990.
- Series 7: Photographs, 1900-1969.
Title based on contents of fonds.
United Church of Canada. Covenant College.
Centre for Christian Studies.
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.