Clergy Reserves were lands set aside in Upper Canada and Lower Canada under the Constitutional Act of 1791, to support and maintain the Church of England in Canada. One-eighth of all lands granted were reserved to the Church of England in Canada. The MacNab-Morin administration passed a measure of secularization in 1854, ending the Clergy Reserves.
Fonds consists of a collection of printed copies or extracts of correspondence, papers, and reports regarding Clergy Reserves, 1791-1854. Includes a circular, dated 1839, addressed: To a Christian Public and signed by many clergymen from Eastern Ontario defending the establishment of the Church of England in Canada and its rights to the Clergy Reserves (M76-16).
Title based on contents of fonds.
Foxed and brittle.
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.