Community of the Sisters of the Church fonds. — 1914-1975, 1977-2015.
1.5 cm of textual records.
1 audio reel.
The Community of the Sisters of the Church was founded in England in 1870. The Community pioneered work in Christian education, child care, social welfare and mission work. By the mid-1890’s the Sisters had established work throughout England and in Canada, Burma, India, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Eventually Provinces were established: the UK Province, the Canadian Province, the Australian Province and the Solomon Islands Province. By 1989 all institutional works, schools and children’s homes world-wide had been given up or handed over to others and new ways of service and ministry continue to be explored.
Today the life of prayer and worship continues to be the foundation and from that evolves ministries of hospitality, spiritual direction, informal educational work such as facilitating retreats and workshops, preaching, teaching Sunday School and Christian clowning. Sisters, lay and ordained, also work in parishes, or as hospital or prison chaplains. It also directs and administers the registered charity, Church Extension Association, Inc.
Custodial history unknown.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of printed material, including miscellaneous monographs, circulars, informational pamphlets, a fairly complete set of the Canadian Leaflet and subsequent newsletters from 1938-1975, the CSC Newsletter, the Annual Report of the Church Extension Association, and a taped interview with Sister Julianna. In 2005 five boxes of books from the Community’s library were received.
Title based on contents of fonds.
|Finding Aids:||Detailed inventory available.|
|Accruals:||Accruals received 1980 and 2005
Further accruals expected
See also entries under this heading in the classified catalogue.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
Church Extension Association.
Anglican Church of Canada — Religious orders
|Accession numbers:||M80-18, M2005-04, AV 8001|