Cumberland-Devon Mission fonds. — 1842-1878.
6.5 cm of textual records.
The Cumberland-Devon Mission, located in the town of The Pas, N.W. of Winnipeg, was originally settled as a fur trading post. Founded in 1840 by Henry Budd, a native Cree who baptised several adults and children. Its first church was built in 1842 by James Hunter, Archdeacon of the mission, 1847-1850. A party searching for the failed Franklin expedition in 1847 spent the winter at the mission and assisted with building pews, furnishings and furniture for the Mission House.
Collection was acquired by the Archives as a permanent loan, particularly for conservation and storage reasons from the Diocese of Brandon by the authority of Bishop John Colin.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of registries of burials, baptisms and burials of the mission in chronological order. One sketch map of the mission, with the location of the town of The Pas, the Indian reserve and its various schools and churches and the surrounding rivers and lakes.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
The Pas (Manitoba).