The General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada was formed in 1893. The Anglican Church was initially known as The Church of England in Canada and changed its name in 1956. The General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada is composed of the Archbishops and Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada and of Clerical and Lay delegates elected by the Dioceses of the Anglican Church of Canada. This body of members meets every three years to assess and direct the business and spiritual direction of the church.
In between the triennial meetings the work of the General Synod is overseen by the Council of General Synod, formerly the National Executive Council (1965-1995), preceded by the Executive Council (Central) (1923-1964).
The General Synod has the authority to adopt canons, rules, regulations and by-laws relating to the Church or Synod. It exercises these powers through boards, councils, committees, and commissions which the General Synod from time to time appoints.
The General Synod owns property in Toronto that it uses for its national office, historically referred to as Church House. The departments that support the work of the General Synod Councils, Boards, and Committees are housed at Church House directed by the General Secretary and the Primate.
Fonds consists of the General Synod journals, Constitution & Canons, General Synod Handbooks, minutes and records of the General Synod and its boards, councils, committees, commissions and task forces.
The Anglican Church of Canada
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.