The International Anglican Liturgical Consultations were established in 1983, first meeting in Boston in 1985. The primary task of the Consultations is to foster mutuality, scholarship and understanding, to respond when particular issues arise and to assist in clear communication, but not impose any program on the Anglican Communion.
Members of the Anglican Liturgical Consultation include Anglican liturgical scholars, liturgical officers of Anglican provinces and nominees from the Anglican Consultative Council and Primate’s meetings. Membership is encouraged from developing countries. The business of the Anglican Liturgical Consultations is conducted by the steering committee that determines the theme for each meeting. There is a close link with the work of the Societas Liturgica and the Consultation on Common Texts (English).
Consultations were initially held biennially. In 1991 it was decided to hold an informal conference every two-years and a quadrennial consultation. Both are planned to promote access to development in liturgical scholarship and practice; adequate representation of provinces and regional churches; contributions of those with expertise in particular areas; mutual exchange, cross-fertilization and encouragement.
Topics of the meetings have included:
- Children and Communion, Boston, USA, 1985
- Liturgy in Liturgy in the Life of the People of God, Brixen, Italy, 1987
- Inculturation, York, England, 1989
- Theology of Initiation, Toronto, Canada,1991
- The Eucharist, Untermarchtal, Gernmany, 1993
- Principals for Liturgical revision and renewal, Dublin, Ireland, 1995
- Ordering of Ministry and Ecumenism,Jarvenpaa, Finland, 1997
- Ordination, Kottyam, India, 1999
Fonds consists of records crated or accumulated by the Secretary of the Steering Committee of the International Anglican Liturgical Consultations. Records include minutes, correspondence, and papers from the meetings of the consultation.
- Title based on the contents of the fonds.
- Deposited by the Rev. David Holeton who served as secretary from 1985-1996.
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.