The Nathanael Institute was established to convert Jews into Christians, beginning in January of 1912 as a parochial undertaking in the Diocese of Toronto. The establishment’s first location was at 64 1/2 Edwards Street, Toronto, with Rev. Paul L. Berman as superintendent. The Nathanael Institute moved to 91 Bellevue Ave., Toronto in 1918. Under the auspices of the diocesan Mission to the Jews and with the aid of the MSCC and the Woman’s Auxiliary, the Nathanael Institute was able to run many services, camps, and outreach ministries to assist immigrating Jewish people to settle in Toronto.
The Rev. Dr. Jakob Jocz immigrated to Canada from England to become the Director of the Nathanael Institute in 1957. He had been involved with the International Hebrew Christian Alliance and the Church’s Ministry to the Jewish People for many years. In 1960, he resigned to teach systematic theology at Wycliffe College. After a Bishop’s Special Committee conducted a review of its Christian approach to the Jewish People and of the Nathanael Institute, the services and activities were reassigned and they closed its doors in 1961.
Fonds consists of correspondence, reports, minutes, leaflets and essays from the time when Dr. Jakob Jocz was associated with the Nathanael Institute.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.