Robert McDonald fonds. — approx. 1911, 1912.
6.5 cm of textual records.
Archdeacon Robert McDonald (1829-1913) was born in Manitoba. He was educated at Red River Academy and later attended St. John’s Collegiate School (later named St. John’s College). He was ordained deacon in 1852 and priest in 1853. After serving at the White Dog (Islington Mission) (1852-1961), he went to Fort Yukon, Alaska (1862-1871) to serve among the Tukudh Indians. His final charge was St.Matthew’s Mission, Fort McPherson NWT (1871-1905) where he was also Archdeacon of MacKenzie River District, (1875-1905). Archdeacon McDonald was a natural linguist and learned Ojibwa (Anishinaabe) and Gwitch’in languages and translated portions of the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer into Ojibwa and Tukudh, and wrote a dictionary and grammar for the Tukudh language.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of the original holograph for Archdeacon McDonald’s last work, completed after age 80, “A grammar and dictionary of the Tukudh language”, published in 1911 by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S.P.C.K.). Includes printed proofs in Tukudh for “Prayer for the Governor-General”, 1912, and two copies of Ordering of Deacons (39 articles).
Title based on contents of fonds.
Robert McDonald Journals (Mf 78-5)
The published version of this manuscript is located in historical library (BP50 M11)
GSA holds other publications by Robert McDonald in the historical library
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
Fort McPherson (NWT)
Fort Yukon (Alaska)
White Dog (Man.)