William Plenderleath Christie fonds : 1829-1847. — Transcribed [1981?].
1 cm of textual records.
William Plenderleath (who later assumed the name of Christie) (1780-1845), was a seigneur and politician who actively promoted schools and Protestant missionary activity in Lower Canada, taking special interest in education for North American Indians. He paid for the building of Trinity Chapel in Montreal, Trinity Church and a parish school in Christieville (Iberville), and donated land for a glebe and church at both Christieville and Napierville. He presented land in Ascot Township to the Church Society, of which he was a founding member and vice-president. Christie gave his approval to the mission of Henriette Feller at Grande-Ligne and paid a colporteur to deliver Protestant religious tracts in Repentigny and in the seigneuries of the upper Richelieu valley.
Typescript copies taken from originals in Montreal Diocesan Archives.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of typescript carbon copies of correspondence from Plenderleath to George Jehoshaphat Mountain, Lord Bishop of Montreal. Those from 1829 to 1837 relate to his efforts toward education for Indian boys in Lower Canada, which resulted in the establishment of an agricultural school at Christieville, L.C. Those from 1840-1845 are an account of his relations with Trinity Chapel, Montreal. Included are a few letters from the church wardens of Trinity Chapel to the Bishop for the years 1845-1847.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
Mountain, George Jehoshaphat, 1789-1863.
Montreal, Que. Trinity Chapel.
Indians of North America — Education.