104 cm of textual records.
Archibald Lang Fleming (1883-1953), enrolled at Wycliffe College in 1908, and was ordained deacon in 1912 and priest in 1913. Fleming was Archdeacon of the Arctic, 1927-1933 and first Bishop of the Arctic, 1933-1949. Earlier he had served as rector of the Church of St. John The Evangelist, Saint John, New Brunswick. His duration as Bishop, which landed him the name “The Flying Bishop”, saw the Diocese of the Arctic add sixteen mission stations, two modern hospitals, nine churches, four residential schools, four chapels and two day schools.
Collection was acquired by the Archives on June 10, 1970.
Scope and Content:
Fonds consists of personal papers created and collected by or about A.L. Fleming. Includes: Notebooks regarding specifications for numerous ships and customs of the Eskimo; a dictionary of translated words; correspondence; financial records; scrapbooks; newspaper and magazine articles; cartographic records; Fleming’s diaries, writings and photographs.
Fonds consists of the following series:
- Series 1. Certificates, diplomas and personal documents;
- Series 2. Diaries, notebooks and journals;
- Series 3. General files;
- Series 4. Scrapbooks, clippings, and memorabilia;
- Series 5. Photographs;
- Series 6. Maps and drawings;
- Series 7. Manuscript writings;
- Series 8. Publications
- Title based on contents of fonds.
Restrictions to Access:
The file regarding Fleming’s resignation is closed and can be seen only with the written consent of the Primate.
Itemized finding aid available.
The photographs from the A.L. Fleming fonds are located in P7516 and P9107. Finding aid available. P9107 copyright is NWT Archives.
See the manuscript finding aid to know which box and file the various correspondence are located and for brief biographical sketches on certain creators of these correspondence.
Anglican Church of Canada. General Synod Archives.
- Flaherty, R.J.
- Hoyles, N.W.
- Sainsbury, S.S.
- Parsons, Ralph.
- Stringer, Isaac O., 1866-1934.
- Burgett, Arthur Edward, 1869-1942.
- Anderson, John George, 1866-1943.
- Westgate, T.B.R. (Thomas Buchanan Reginald), 1872-1951.
- McKeand, Major.
- Lake Harbour, N.W.T. Mission.
- Colonial and Continental Church Society.
- Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.
- Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge.
M70-1, P7516, P9107