The first Canterbury Club was organized in 1918 by the Rev. Frank W. Creighton at New York State Teachers’ College. In 1946, Bishop Luxton of Huron, then Dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, brought the idea of Canterbury to Canada and clubs were formed at most Canadian Universities. The aim of the club is to serve the mission of Christianity in higher education by fostering among the students a better understanding of the faith and practice of the Church of England in Canada and loyalty to its corporate life through a programme of worship, study, service, giving and evangelism.
Fonds consists of printed material including a pamplet on the history of the club, several dealings with branches at University of Toronto and two copies of the McGill University newsletter “The Anglican”.
Title based on contents of fonds.
See General Synod Journal 1952 p. 43-44
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.