The House of Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada, consisting of the Primate and all the bishops serving the 30 dioceses of the Anglican Church of Canada, was formed in 1893. From 1893 to 1971 it was known as the Upper House and met separately from the Lower House (clergy and lay delegates, now House of Delegates) during the meetings of General Synod. The House of Bishops meets twice a year and aims to meet just before the meetings of General Synod.
Fonds consists of minutes of the meetings, meeting files containing correspondence and reports, records of the House of Bishops task forces and committees, and documents related to the election and consecration of bishops.
Fonds is arranged in the following series: House of Bishops minutes, 1904-2010; House of Bishops meeting files, 1883-1981; Consecration Certificates, 1888-2020; House of Bishops Committees and Task Forces.
Most of the House of Bishops records comes to the Archives through the Office of the Primate. See the Office of the Primate fonds for more House of Bishops records.
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.