Trevor Evans Jones (1907-1988) was born in the United States but raised in Ontario, receiving a B.A. from the University of Toronto in 1930 and B.D. from Wycliffe College, Toronto in 1946. He was ordained deacon and priest in 1932 and served as missionary at Fort George, N.W.T. (1932-1937) and Aklavik, N.W.T. (1938-1944), and curate at St. John’s, West Toronto (1937-38). In 1944, Jones returned to the Diocese of Toronto as assistant curate at Grace Church on-the-hill and in 1947, moved to St. Andrew’s Church, Toronto Island, becoming rector in 1950. He joined the national staff of the Anglican Church of Canada as Associate General Secretary of the General Board of Religious Education in 1953 and in 1963, Director of residential schools and hostels. Shortly after retiring from national staff in 1972, he became priest of St. Paul’s Dunbarton.
Fonds consists of an original manuscript journal based on Mrs. Hilda Jones’ diaries and Rev. Jones’ notes and speeches (covering approx. 1932-1953), one copy of his manuscript entitled “Arctic Aboriginees”, and a publication ready copy of the same entitled “The Jones Journals: living and working with the peoples of Northern Canada”. Transcripts of an Interview with Canon Trevor Jones by Marion Beyea; details of his life and work including descriptions of work with the General Board of Religious Education; work as Director, Residential Schools and Hostels, MSCC.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Received as a semi-permanent loan from Rev. Canon Jones in 1979.
Copy of “The Jones Journals” given to the Archives by Mr. Peter Meggs in 1996.
AV78-01 Tapes 1-7 (missing 5-7)
For related material see GS75-103 MSCC fonds
See also entries under this heading in the classified catalogue.
Fort George, QC. Mission.
Please contact the Archives for more information on this record.