The Consultation was a fluid group of bishops from eight African Provinces, The Anglican Church of Canada, The Church of England, The Scottish Episcopal Church and The Episcopal Church. For over a decade, bishops worked to mend relations and build understanding among parts of the Communion that had been in intense conflict. The first Consultation was held in London UK, in February 2010. The consultation took place every year in different parts of the Communion, until the final event in Zanzibar, in February 2020.
This Guide to Intercultural Conversations is a gift to the Anglican Communion from The Consultation of Anglican Bishops in Dialogue. It comprised a full guide, a short guide, and a series of videos.
The video, We are One (above), expresses the changing context, experience and insights of participating bishops, and can be used to raise awareness, prompt reflection, and support dialogue processes. It is also available on YouTube, Vimeo, and as a downloadable video.
The Consultation had its beginnings at the 2008 Lambeth Conference, when the Anglican Communion was deeply divided over issues of same-sex unions and larger questions of Scriptural interpretation. At this conference Archbishop Colin Johnson of Toronto and the Rev. Canon Dr. Isaac Kawuki Mukasa, a Ugandan-Canadian priest then serving in the diocese of Toronto and later with General Synod and General Convention, invited informal conversation with African bishops. For several years, interested participants exchanged theological correspondence, first on human sexuality and then mission. The Consultation of Anglican Bishops in Dialogue subsequently met in person 11 times (2010-2020) concluding with a final Testimony to the 2021 Lambeth Conference. Close to 60 different bishops and Primates participated.
– Notes for Theological Reflection by the Rev. Canon Dr. Todd Townshend
– Primate’s Remarks to 9th Consultation (July 2018)
• Testimony of Mutual Commitment and Pulling Together—Haraambe (June 2017)
• A Testimony of Unity in Diversity (May 2016)
• A Testimony of Love: Bearing One Another’s Burden (May 2015)
• A Testimony of Our Journey toward Reconciliation (May 2014)
– Response by the Very Reverend Peter Elliott
– Response by Professor Wendy Fletcher
– Response by Professor Sammy Githuku
– Response by the Right Reverend Maimbo Mndolwa
– Response by Professor Esther Mombo
– Response by Professor Ephraim Radner
• A Testimony of Hope (May 2013)
• A Sacrament of Love: Our Continuing Testimony of Grace (June 2012)
• A Testimony of Grace from the Consultation of Bishops in Dialogue (March 2011)
• Read a paper on the concept of Sankofa, presented by Prof. Emmanuel Asante to the 2016 consultation
• Read a July 2015 story from the Anglican Journal, “Dialoguing bishops walk Slave Trail”
• Read a timeline of the consultation from 2003 to 2020
• Watch a video from the fourth consultation in Cape Town, South Africa
• View video interviews with the bishops at the 2012 Toronto consultation
• Read a June 2012 news story “Canadian, African bishops affirm common mission”
Contact: Dr. Andrea Mann, Director, Global Relations