The Consultation of Anglican Bishops in Dialogue is a fluid group of bishops from Canada, the U.S., and various African countries. Together they seek to build common understanding and respect among parts of the Communion that have been in conflict.
The consultation began at the 2008 Lambeth Conference, when the Anglican Communion was split over issues of same-sex unions and larger questions of Scriptural interpretation.
At this conference Archbishop Colin Johnson of Toronto and the Rev. Canon Dr. Isaac Kawuki Mukasa, a Ugandan-Canadian now on staff with General Synod, began conversations with African bishops. Interested African dioceses started theological correspondence with Canadian counterparts, first on human sexuality and then mission. The consultation has now met in person seven times and is continuing their work together.
Reflections on Bishops in Dialogue testimonies
Offering a valuable supplement to the testimonies produced by the Consultation of Anglican Bishops in Dialogue, a series of reflections by bishops from across the Anglican Communion add further commentary and critiques as African and North American bishops move forward in their ongoing conversation. Read an introduction and the reflections here.
Read reports from the consultation
- Testimony of Mutual Commitment and Pulling Together—Haraambe (June 2017)
- A Testimony of Unity in Diversity (May 2016)
- A Testimony of Love: Bearing One Another’s Burden (May 2015)
- A Testimony of Our Journey toward Reconciliation (May 2014)
- A Testimony of Hope (May 2013)
- A Sacrament of Love: Our Continuing Testimony of Grace (June 2012)
- A Testimony of Grace from the Consultation of Bishops in Dialogue (March 2011)
More information on the consultation
- Read a historical background to the Bishops in Dialogue consultations
- Read a paper on the concept of sankofa, presented by Prof. Emmanuel Asante to the 2016 consultation
- Read a July 2015 story from the Anglican Journal, “Dialoguing bishops walk Slave Trail”
- Read a timeline of the consultation from 2003 to 2016
- Watch a video from the fourth consultation in Cape Town, South Africa
- View video interviews with the bishops at the 2012 Toronto consultation
- Read a June 2012 news story “Canadian, African bishops affirm common mission”
Email the Rev. Canon Dr. Isaac Kawuki Mukasa, Africa Relations Consultant, for more information