The 41st meeting of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, set to take place from July 7-12, 2016 in Richmond Hill, Ont., will bring together hundreds of delegates and spectators from across the country to discuss a range of issues and business affecting the church national.
For seasoned veterans and newcomers alike, the format and subject matter under discussion at the forthcoming General Synod—which is built around the theme “You Are My Witnesses”—may prove daunting. Finding one’s way through the facility and understanding the meeting procedures may present their own challenges.
To help prepare delegates, guests, visitors, observers and media, General Synod Communications is producing a series of 10 orientation videos that will be made available online on the first and 15th day of every month leading up to the meeting.
“Delegates are giving a lot of their time to come to this meeting,” Anglican Video senior producer Lisa Barry said. “A lot of them give [up] their vacation time, and the meeting is so full and the subjects so dense, it’s sometimes difficult for delegates to read up on everything and read the convening circular and be completely ready.
“We hope that these [videos] will help them get a stronger orientation and be more ready to discuss and vote on issues that are ahead … We’re trying to keep them brief and informative, but rich in content.”
Each video gives a brief summary of a different aspect of General Synod, delivered by Anglicans with specific knowledge of the topic. Some focus on theological matters, while others offer background information on General Synod and explain the method and logistics of the upcoming conference.
To ensure the content of the videos is timely and current, Barry has purposefully scheduled production for the months immediately prior to General Synod, filming each segment as their respective hosts stop by for meetings at Church House in Toronto.
“We want to cover things that are actually relevant as they develop,” Barry said.
The schedule of pre-Synod orientation videos is as follows:
- Feb. 1: Overview, welcome, history of General Synod – The Ven. Dr. Michael Thompson, General Secretary
- Feb. 15: First-timer special, geared to those who have never attended – Meghan Kilty, Director, Communications
- March 1: Tour of facility, logistics, travel – Various
- March 15: On the theme “You Are My Witnesses”, a theological reflection and invitation – Archbishop Fred Hiltz, Primate
- April 1: Content segment on The Indigenous Call – National Indigenous Anglican Bishop Mark MacDonald, Bishop Lydia Mamakwa
- April 15: Resolutions and matters before the General Synod– Cynthia Haines-Turner, Deputy Prolocutor of General Synod
- May 1: International Guests and Partnerships – Andrea Mann, Director, Global Relations
- May 15: Worship at General Synod – The Rev. Martha Tatarnic, Rector, St. George’s Anglican Church in St. Catharines
- June 1: General Synod procedures and clickers, provincial caucus, breakout sessions, etc. – The Ven. Alan Perry, Executive Archdeacon, Diocese of Edmonton
- June 15: Welcome and self-care, final details – The Rev. Peter Wall, Chair, General Synod Planning Committee
Interested in keeping up-to-date on news, opinion, events and resources from the Anglican Church of Canada? Sign up for our email alerts .