The Archbishop of Canterbury announced the formation of the Windsor Continuation Group (WCG), as proposed in his Advent Letter.
The WCG will address outstanding questions arising from the Windsor Report and the various formal responses from provinces and instruments of the Anglican Communion.
The members of the group are:
- The Most Revd Clive Handford, former Primate of Jerusalem and the Middle East (chair)
- The Most Revd John Chew, Primate of South East Asia
- The Right Revd Gary Lillibridge, Bishop of West Texas
- The Right Revd Victoria Matthews, former Bishop of Edmonton
- The Very Revd John Moses, former dean of St Paul’s, London
- The Most Revd Donald Mtetemela, Primate of Tanzania
They will be joined as a consultant by:
- Dame Mary Tanner, Co-president of the World Council of Churches
and assisted by:
- Canon Andrew Norman of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Staff
- Canon Gregory Cameron of the Anglican Communion Office
Bishop Clive Handford, who will be chairing the group, said: “We are conscious as we undertake this work that the Archbishop has given us an important responsibility to assist the Communion to move forward. A significant element of our work will be face-to-face conversation with those who have key roles in shaping the future of our common life. I believe in the Anglican Communion, and hope that our work will help it to find healing and new strength.”
The group will be working intensively in the period running up to the 2008 Lambeth Conference, where its initial work will contribute to the shared discernment of the bishops in strengthening the life and identity of the Anglican Communion.
The Archbishop of Canterbury commented: “I am deeply grateful to those who have accepted the invitation to carry forward the important work in our Communion’s life that I indicated in my Advent Letter. This is a demanding assignment. I trust they can count on our prayers throughout the Communion as they bring their combined wisdom and attentiveness to the strengthening of our common life through the Windsor Process.”
- The Windsor Process – Anglican Communion website
- Archbishop of Canterbury’s Advent Letter – Anglican Communion website
- The Lambeth Conference – Official website
Interested in keeping up-to-date on news, opinion, events and resources from the Anglican Church of Canada? Sign up for our email alerts .