On June 1, 2014 the Indigenous Spiritual Ministry of Mishamikoweesh came into being. The creation of this new diocese marks a major milestone in the journey of establishing of a self-determining, self-sustaining Indigenous church within the Anglican Church of Canada.
The Indigenous Spiritual Ministry of Mishamikoweesh encompasses over twenty-five First Nations communities in Northwestern Ontario and Northern Manitoba. Its structures and program will be uniquely aboriginal in that it will be an expression of Indigenous self-determination within the Anglican Church, committed to upholding the tradition, order, and discipline of the Church, expressing that commitment in a manner that is consistent with the cultural and spiritual heritage of the Indigenous people of the region.
More about ISMM:
- First indigenous diocese celebrated by the Anglican Journal
- The Dream Takes Shape: Indigenous Spiritual Ministry of Mishamikoweesh comes into being
- A New Diocese: Born from the Dream of the Elders
- Mishamikoweesh: A note from Archbishop Fred Hiltz for the Anglican Journal
- Awaiting the birth of Mishamikoweesh by the Anglican Journal
- The Indigenous Spiritual Ministry of Mishamikoweesh Facebook page