Christians around the world are invited to give particular attention to praying and caring for God’s creation as part of the global Season of Creation, observed from September 1 to October 4 every year. General Synod 2019 passed a resolution adopting the Season of Creation in the Anglican Church of Canada as a time of prayer, education, and action and encouraging dioceses and parishes to participate.
There are many ways your community can participate in the Season of Creation. Hold an ecumenical or interfaith prayer service; worship outdoors; go for a hike with members of your parish; work to reduce your plastic or energy consumption; or advocate for stronger environmental policy.
Resources for 2021
For the Love of Creation is a Canadian ecumenical climate justice campaign, bringing together Canadian faith communities and faith-based organizations to mobilize education, reflection, action and advocacy for a sustainable future for all life on the planet. The Anglican Church of Canada, the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples, and the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund are active members of For the Love of Creation. The following resources are particularly relevant for the Season of Creation:
- Faith-in-Action Campaign to mobilize Canadians to reduce household greenhouse gases and demonstrate support for increased federal climate action
- Faithful Climate Conversations encourage dialogue on climate change through a series of facilitated small group conversations
- Letter of the Faithful offers a process of collaborative theological reflection on climate issues so that groups can share how their faith speaks to the climate crisis facing the world
Anglican Church of Canada resources
- Season of Creation website includes ecumenical and Anglican prayer resources, lectionary notes, information on events and suggestions for action.
- Toolkit from the World Council of Churches: Climate Justice with and for Children and Youth in Churches—Get Informed, Get Inspired, Take Action