“True ecumenism goes beyond theological dialogue; it touches our spiritual lives and our common witness. As our dialogue has developed, many Catholics and Anglicans have found in each other a love for Christ which invites us into practical co-operation and service.”
Joint declaration by Archbishop Rowan Williams and Pope Benedict XVI (2006)
Inspired by the new ecumenical openness expressed by the Second Vatican Council, official theological dialogue between the Anglican Church of Canada and the Roman Catholic Church in this country (under the aegis of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops) began in 1971. Four years later, a second bilateral dialogue was established between Canadian Anglican and Roman Catholic bishops. Both churches remain committed to the two dialogues.
In their four decades of work, the two dialogues have addressed both theological and pastoral questions. They have contributed to the theological work of the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission. They have also produced joint pastoral guidelines on intermarriage between Anglicans and Catholics, as well as guidelines for bishops who are receiving clergy from the other church. The dialogues are currently focused on helping Canadian Anglicans and Roman Catholics become more aware of the existing high level of theological agreement our two churches already share, and helping them find ways to tangibly express that unity in mission together.
The members of the Anglican-Roman Catholic Dialogue of Canada are:
- The Rt. Rev. Linda Nicholls (co-chair)
- Ms. Caitlin Reilley Beck
- Dr. Joseph Mangina
- The Rev. Dr. David Neelands
- The Rev. Dr. Scott Sharman
- The Ven. Bruce Myers OGS (staff)
- The Most Rev. Donald Bolen (co-chair)
- Mr. Julien Hammond
- The Rev. Dr. Raymond Lafontaine
- The Rev. Alexander Laschuk
- Dr. Mary Marrocco
- Mrs. Michelle Dabrowska (staff)
- The Rev. Dr. Matthew Anderson (ELCIC)
The members of the Anglican-Roman Catholic Bishops’ Dialogue of Canada are:
- The Rt. Rev. Barry Clarke (co-chair)
- The Rt. Rev. Peter Coffin
- The Rt. Rev. David Irving
- The Rt. Rev. Michael Oulton
- The Most Rev. John Privett
- The Ven. Bruce Myers OGS (staff)
- The Most Rev. Gary Gordon (co-chair)
- The Most Rev. Brian Dunn
- Mgr François Lapierre, P.M.E.
- The Most Rev. John S. Pazak, C.Ss.R.
- The Most Rev. Albert Thévenot, M.Afr.
- Mr. Kyle Ferguson (staff)
Anglican-Roman Catholic resources
- Anglicans and Catholics finding one voice – A communiqué from the May 2013 meeting of the Anglican-Roman Catholic Dialogue of Canada
- IARCCUM.org – The most comprehensive collection of news and documents related to Anglican-Roman Catholic relations around the world, including Canada.
- Growing Together in Unity and Mission – Theological reflection and practical suggestions on how Anglicans and Roman Catholics can give living expression to the unity we already share.
- Pastoral Guidelines for Interchurch Marriages Between Anglicans and Roman Catholics in Canada – A guide for couples, clergy, and those involved in marriage preparation and pastoral care.
- On the Way Together: A People Created for the Common Good – A study guide prepared by the Anglican-Roman Catholic Dialogue of Canada on the two churches’ common moral tradition.
- When Anglicans and Roman Catholics are at the Eucharist Together – Recommendations from the Anglican Roman Catholic Bishops’ Dialogue of Canada.
- Pastoral Guidelines for Churches in the Case of Clergy Moving from One Communion to the Other – A guide for bishops, clergy, and those involved in vocational discernment.
- Forty Years of Walking Together– An account of the fortieth anniversary celebrations of Anglican-Roman Catholic dialogue in Canada, and a discussion of the dialogue’s future directions.