The Suicide Prevention Program responds to the tragedy of suicide, especially as it affects Indigenous youth.
- Suicide rates in First Nations communities are twice the Canadian average.
- First Nations youth have a suicide rate five to seven times higher than that of the national average.
- Suicide rates among Inuit youth are 11 times the Canadian average.
- Health professionals are referring to this situation as a “pandemic.”
- More than 10 people commit suicide each day in Canada.
- Youth suicide has tripled in Canada over the last 40 years. Indigenous youth are particularly at risk.
- Canada is one of the few G8 countries not to have a national suicide prevention strategy.