Through speaking engagements at key functions, members of the Council of the North are able to connect with those in the southern Church by sharing the stories of pastoral and sacramental Ministry in the Council of the North and thanking them for their ongoing and generous support.
Speaking engagements are an excellent way to build relationships, awareness and ultimately spiritual and financial support.
Who would make the best speakers? Current and former Bishops of the Council of the North as well as clergy or lay leaders from a Council of the North Diocese. At speaking engagements, the speaker will represent the entire Council of the North (not just their own diocese). All potential speakers are to be approved by both the communications team for the Council as well as the Chair(s) and other members of the Council.
The communications team proactively seeks speaking opportunities in areas of the country that could benefit from an increased awareness of the Council of the North as well as acknowledging areas or specific groups that are significant supporters of the Council of the North. Examples of these opportunities could be national conventions/assemblies to Diocesan Synods to regional gatherings.
Requests for speakers to visit individual parishes will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
The speaker will:
- Speak passionately about the Council of the North.
- Be capable of writing and/or compiling a presentation using Council of the North key messages, ministry stories from the Council, pre-written scripts and other applicable resources that may aid in preparation.
- Demonstrate how Anglicans can support the Council of the North through the use of resources on the Council website, promotion of Council of the North Sundays in their dioceses/parishes and subscribing to the Council of the North newsletter and Facebook page.
- Make their own logistical arrangements regarding travel and accommodations.
Council of the North responsibilities
General Synod Communications will:
- Facilitate all initial arrangements for the speaking engagement.
- Enquire whether promotional materials are desired and make them available.
- Prepare the speaker by providing information about the event.
- Provide a template for the presentation using Council of the North key messages, ministry stories from the Council, pre-written scripts and other applicable resources that may be required to aid in preparation for the speaking engagement.
- Ship materials as needed.
- Notify event representatives and the diocesan office in advance (if request has not come from them).