The Companions of Jerusalem is a national, voluntary body of members of the Anglican Church of Canada drawn together in common concern and support for the well-being of the Church in the land of Christ’s birth, death and resurrection. All interested church members and others are encouraged to become a Companion, either as individual, parish or diocesan members.
Companions will provide leadership and support to our church’s growing partnership in mission and justice with the Diocese of Jerusalem, and enable a unified national response. Terms of Reference were approved by Council of General Synod, November 2011. Activities are overseen by an Advisory Council comprised of nine COGS appointed members. The Primate is an ex-officio member.
Education, advocacy, pilgrimage and financial support to Diocese of Jerusalem ministries comprise the four key areas of Companions’ work. The intent is to:
- Foster learning and raise awareness about the Diocese of Jerusalem’s local mission, vocation and struggle.
- Guide Canadians planning to travel to Israel and Palestine, and Canadian pilgrims toward connections with the ‘living stones’ of the Jerusalem Church and current realities.
- Act for peace in partnership with the Diocese of Jerusalem, the Anglican Church of Canada, and ecumenical groups.
- Identify projects and raise funds in support of specific ministries of the Diocese of Jerusalem.
Primate Fred Hiltz (ex officio)
Dr. Andrea Mann (Director, Global Relations)
The Rev. Professor Patricia G Kirkpatrick (Chair)
The Rt. Rev. John Chapman
The Rt. Rev. Michael Ingham
The Rev Canon Dr. Richard LeSueur
The Rev. Dr. Martin Brokenleg
Ms. Deborah Neal
- Terms of reference
- Become a Companion
- Canadian Companion of the Diocese of Jerusalem Facebook page
- Jerusalem Sunday
- Giving with Grace (designation Companion of the Diocese of Jerusalem)